In an effort to document our Cortez overhaul progress, here is a breakdown of work we have completed per month and what is to come in the months ahead.
Work We Have Achieved Thus Far
↠ JULY 2019 ↞
- Cortez arrived — It was towed on the back of a flatbed semi across America!
- First inspection — There is much more to be done than advertised!
- Starter motor replaced — Our Cortez starts for the first time!
- Engine serviced (oil changed and clutch fluid bled).
↠ AUGUST 2019 ↞
- Brake shoes and brake cylinders replaced, brake parts cleaned, brake drums painted, and brake fluid bled — Our Cortez’s brakes work!
- Door locks repaired — We can enter, exit, and lock all doors!
- Engine’s choke adjusted — It starts without starter fluid!
↠ SEPTEMBER 2019 ↞
- Alternator replaced.
- Fuel filler neck fabricated.
↠ OCTOBER 2019 ↞
- Windshield wiper blades, jets, and fluid bottle replaced.
- Exterior light wiring corrected — All exterior lights work!
- Air filter box fabricated.
- Air filter replaced.
No work in November?! We were investigating what was next and ordering parts!
↠ DECEMBER 2019 ↞
- Battery replaced.
- Interior removed.
↠ JANUARY 2020 ↞
- Carburetor hoses replaced.
- Anti-roll bar bushings replaced.
- Suspension bushings replaced.
↠ FEBRUARY 2020 ↞
- Transmission oil changed.
↠ MARCH 2020 ↞
- Insulation removed — Full protection necessary!
- Plumbing, heating, and electrical systems removed.
- Cork flooring removed — We have beautiful wood floors!
↠ APRIL 2020 ↞
- Interior underseal removed — Our first look at the condition of the metal and we have found rust and holes!
Work We Have Planned Ahead
↠ SHORT HAUL ↞
- Sand the interior metal.
- Treat the interior metal rust.
- Paint the interior metal.
- Lift one of the twin floors — Who knows what awaits under our interior floor!
- Replace the passenger’s side upper ball joint.
↠ LONG HAUL ↞
- Treat the roof rust and reseal the roof.
- Replace and rewire all electrical aspects.
- Investigate the water, heat, and air conditioning systems.
- Build inside.
- Investigate the suspension in order to raise the Cortez.
- Rebuild the engine then give it a a full service.
- Flush and change the coolant and change the thermostat.
- Investigate the exhaust system.
- Treat the rim rust and paint the rims.
- Paint the exterior of the Cortez.
- Remove our cracked glass, treat the rust around the glass, replace all window seals, then reinstall all glass.
- Fit new door seals.
- Get a state inspection — Finally!