In an effort to document our Cortez overhaul progress, here is a breakdown of work we have completed per month and what is to come in the months ahead.
Work We Have Achieved Thus Far
↠ JULY 2019 ↞
- Cortez arrived — It was towed on the back of a flatbed semi across America!
- First inspection — There is much more to be done than advertised!
- Starter motor replaced — Our Cortez starts for the first time!
- Engine serviced (oil changed and clutch fluid bled).
↠ AUGUST 2019 ↞
- Brake shoes and brake cylinders replaced, brake parts cleaned, brake drums painted, and brake fluid bled — Our Cortez’s brakes work!
- Door locks repaired — We can enter, exit, and lock all doors!
- Engine’s choke adjusted — It starts without starter fluid!
↠ SEPTEMBER 2019 ↞
- Alternator replaced.
- Fuel filler neck fabricated.
↠ OCTOBER 2019 ↞
- Windshield wiper blades, jets, and fluid bottle replaced.
- Exterior light wiring corrected — All exterior lights work!
- Air filter box fabricated.
- Air filter replaced.
No work in November?! We were investigating what was next and ordering parts!
↠ DECEMBER 2019 ↞
- Battery replaced.
- Interior removed.
↠ JANUARY 2020 ↞
- Carburetor hoses replaced.
- Anti-roll bar bushings replaced.
- Suspension bushings re-greased.
↠ FEBRUARY 2020 ↞
- Transmission oil changed.
↠ MARCH 2020 ↞
- Insulation removed — Full protection necessary!
- Plumbing, heating, and electrical systems removed.
- Cork flooring removed — We have beautiful wood floors!
↠ APRIL THROUGH JULY 2020 ↞
- Interior underseal and rust removed — Our first look at the condition of the metal and we have rust and holes!
- Tachometer installed — A first for our Cortez!
↠ AUGUST 2020 ↞
- Interior underseal that our angle grinders could not reach removed.
- Mechanical fuel pump replaced (and two extra unneeded electronic fuel pumps removed).
- Fuel filter installed.
- Roof stripped — Let’s get this baby prepped for welding and being water-tight!
↠ SEPTEMBER 2020 ↞
- Welder hired — Our first professional help comes from RVA Mobile Welding Services and he is fantastic!
- New frame supports welded — Six had rusted so severely they were not holding up our roof!
- Roof holes covered with new metal panels and welded in.
- Roof rust to be treated.
- Roof to be sealed.
- Interior holes to be welded — Several wheel well and seat platform holes that need to be covered!
Work We Have Planned Ahead
↠ SHORT HAUL ↞
- Our Cortez needs a name — Leave us a comment to give us ideas!
- YouTube channel introduction video to be created — Stop by and subscribe! Just clicking ‘subscribe’ will monetize our channel so all proceeds will go towards overhauling our steel beast and sharing our progress with you.
- Water, heat, and air conditioning systems to be investigated.
- Interior metal to be treated.
- Interior metal to be painted.
- Fuel tank to be restored.
- Driver and passenger front seats to be reinstalled.
- Engine cover to be fabricated — Cannot wait to soundproof the engine bay!
- Passenger’s side upper ball joint to be replaced.
- Carburetor to be rebuilt.
- Clutch mater and slave cylinder to be replaced.
- Brake master cylinder to be replaced.
- Brake hydrovac unit to be serviced.
- Engine valve stem seals to be replaced.
- Front shock absorbers to be replaced.
- Torsion bars to be adjusted or upgraded.
↠ LONG HAUL ↞
- Coolant to be flushed and changeed
- Thermostat to be changed.
- One of the twin floors to be lifted — Who knows what awaits under our interior floor!
- Headlights, brake lights, tail lights, and reverse lights to be updated and Flush and change the additional fog lights to be installed.
- Exterior lights, dash, and engine electrical systems to be rewired.
- State registration to be made — Yay!
- Mudflaps to be purchased.
- Battery box area to be fabricated and welded.
- Rear storage compartment floor to be welded.
- Engine to be overhauled.
- Electronic fuel injection to be upgraded.
- Exterior body damage to be welded — Areas around the grill, front passenger corner, rear passenger panel, and bumper are all damaged.
- Ladder to be installed.
- Cracked glass to be removed, rust around the glass to be treated, window seals to be replaced, then glass to be reinstalled.
- New door seals to be fit.
- Interior living and solar electrical systems to be designed and installed.
- Heat and air conditioning system to be designed and installed.
- Water system to be designed and installed.
- Interior to be soundproofed.
- Install interior safe.
- Interior to be designed and built — Finally we get to create our home!
- Interior furnished — Finally our Cortez looks like home!
- Exterior lockable storage to be installed — Tools, spare parts, and recreational equipment will have a home!
- Exterior to be painted — Leave us a comment and let us know what color you’d like!
- Awning to be installed.
- Exterior mirrors to be installed.
- Chrome to be polished.
- Rims and tires to be upgraded and cover for spare tire to be purchased.
- Recovery winch to be purchased.
- Roof-top deck to be installed
- Exhaust system to be fabricated.