In an effort to document our Cortez overhaul progress, here is a breakdown of work we have completed per month and what is to come in the months ahead.
↠ WORK WE HAVE ACHIEVED THUS FAR ↞
- Cortez arrived — It was towed on the back of a flatbed semi across America!
- First inspection — There is much more to be done than advertised!
- Starter motor replaced — Our Cortez starts for the first time!
- Engine serviced (oil changed and clutch fluid bled).
- Brake shoes and brake cylinders replaced, brake parts cleaned, brake drums painted, and brake fluid bled — Our Cortez’s brakes work!
- Door locks repaired — We can enter, exit, and lock all doors!
- Engine’s choke adjusted — It starts without starter fluid!
- Alternator replaced.
- Fuel filler neck fabricated.
- Windshield wiper blades, jets, and fluid bottle replaced.
- Exterior light wiring corrected — All exterior lights work!
- Air filter box fabricated.
- Air filter replaced.
No work in November?! We were investigating what was next and ordering parts!
- Battery replaced.
- Interior removed.
- Carburetor hoses replaced.
- Anti-roll bar bushings replaced.
- Suspension bushings re-greased.
- Transmission oil changed.
- Insulation removed — Full protection necessary!
- Plumbing, heating, and electrical systems removed.
- Cork flooring removed — We have beautiful wood floors!
April through July 2020
- Interior underseal and rust removed — Our first look at the condition of the metal and we have rust and holes!
- Tachometer installed — A first for our Cortez!
- Interior underseal that our angle grinders could not reach removed.
- Mechanical fuel pump replaced (and two extra unneeded electronic fuel pumps removed).
- Fuel filter installed.
- Roof stripped — Let’s get this baby prepped for welding and being water-tight!
- Welder hired — Our first professional help comes from RVA Mobile Welding Services and he is fantastic!
- New frame supports welded — Six had rusted so severely they were not holding up our roof!
- Rear storage compartment floor to be welded.
- Roof holes covered with new metal panels and welded in.
- Roof rust treated.
- Roof sealed — A combination of body filler, sealant, and RV roof coating go us there but it looks rough so we now need to correct it!
- Fuel tank treated.
- Mudflaps installed.
- Carburetor rebuilt.
- Intake manifold and valve cover cleaned; new gaskets installed.
- Thermostat changed.
- Fuel tank treated.
- Clutch master and slave cylinders replaced.
- Clutch lines replaced.
- Clutch fluid bled.
↠ WORK WE HAVE PLANNED AHEAD ↞
Short Haul/Vintage RV Restoration
- Our Cortez needs a name — Leave us a comment to give us ideas!
- YouTube channel introduction video to be created — Stop by and subscribe to more progress on our steel beast!
- Fuel tank to be installed.
- Passenger’s side upper ball joint to be replaced.
- Brake hydrovac unit to be serviced.
- Compression test and leak-down test to be done.
- Engine to be flushed.
- Engine oil pump to be serviced or replaced.
- Engine valve stem seals to be replaced.
- Coolant to be flushed and changed.
- Water heater lines to be removed.
- Engine belts to be replaced.
- Battery box area to be fabricated and welded.
- Interior holes to be welded — Several wheel well and seat platform holes need to be covered!
- Front shock absorbers to be replaced.
- Torsion bars to be adjusted or upgraded.
- Vintage RV restoration complete — We are hoping to finish in the estimated month of June!
- Start to vanbuild!
- Lay-out to be designed.
- Electronic fuel conversion to be done.
- Engine cover to be fabricated/welded — Cannot wait to soundproof the engine bay!
- Interior safe to be installed or welded in.
- Solar brackets and roof-deck supports to be welded.
- Exterior body damage to be welded — Areas around the grill, front passenger corner, rear passenger panel, and bumper are all damaged.
- Interior twin floors to be lifted — Who knows what awaits underneath!
- Chassis to be cleaned and painted.
- Floor to be insulated.
- Interior metal to be cleaned, rust treated, and painted.
- Interior to be soundproofed and insulated.
- Exterior lights, dash, and engine electrical systems to be rewired.
- Headlights, brake lights, tail lights, and reverse lights to be updated.
- Additional fog lights to be installed.
- Interior living and solar electrical systems to be designed and installed.
- Heat and air conditioning system to be designed and installed.
- Water system to be designed and installed.
- Interior to be built — Finally we get to create our home!
- Exterior lockable storage to be installed — Tools, spare parts, and recreational equipment will have a home!
- Driver and passenger front seats cleaned and reinstalled.
- Cracked glass to be removed, rust around the glass to be treated, window seals to be replaced, then glass to be reinstalled.
- State registration to be made — Yay!
- Ladder to be installed.
- Roof coating to be repaired.
- Roof-top deck to be installed.
- Exterior to be painted — Leave us a comment and let us know what color you vote!
- Interior furnished — Finally our Cortez looks like home!
- New door seals to be fit.
- Rims and tires to be upgraded and cover for spare tire to be purchased.
- Exterior mirrors to be installed.
- Chrome to be polished.
- Vanbuild and upgrades finished — We are hoping to finish in the estimated year of 2022! After that, we plan to save money for a year before starting vanlife!
- New timing chain possibly replaced.
- Brake master cylinder possibly replaced.
- Radiator possibly upgraded.
- Oil cooler possibly installed.
- Engine possibly overhauled.
- Awning possibly installed.
- Exhaust system possibly fabricated.
- Recovery winch possibly purchased.